Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Linseed Oil

Recently I was asked why I use linseed oil and recommend it for bowl care. Well, I had honestly never through about it. I use it because it was what my wife would pick up at the store, and with 50 years of marriage under my belt, I have learned not to question what she buys.
So I decided to do some research and back up my use of this type of oil.

Linseed oil comes from a dried ripe flax seed. The oil it self is made by pressing to extract the aplaha-linolenic acid (which for you non-chemist about there is a form of Omega-3). This allows the oil to polymerize in to a solid form, a property that lets the oil act as natural varrish in wood finishes, and brings the pigment out of the wood, or oil paints.

Also unlike some synthetic oils on the mark, linseed is an edible oil. In parts of Europe it is often eaten with potatoes, quark, and cheese. These treats are regarded as a delicacy due to the oils hearty taste, that spices up the bland dishes.  An for the people who have no desire to try it, I can say it is not bad. If fact I had my grand-daughter look up a recipe involving the oil, I will see if I can get her to post it later. I have to admit it was not what I was expecting when I first look at the recipe, but overall it was nice.

But the the overall take away that I got from my research. Is that linseed is a natural oil that gives your wood a beatufiul shine and even add hardness to the wood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment